ietf-nntp Discussion of draft-dfncis-netnews-admin-sys-04.txt

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Aug 27 02:39:52 PDT 2002

In <20020826121801.GA418734 at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE> Robert Schuettler <rober at cis.fu-berlin.de> writes:

>Hello everyone,

>we have put together a new "working" version of our NAS draft trying to
>address the points discussed here. Please have a look and tell us what
>you think:

>http://nas.cis.fu-berlin.de/draft/draft-dfncis-netnews-admin-sys-05.txt

You still have not addressed the fundamental question of why a brand new
internet protocol is needed to do this job, when a simple extension to the
Netnews protocols (or perhaps even no extenion at all in the first
instance) would enable this data to be propagated by Netnews itself.

Alternatively, there are solutions based on the use of DNS (and those
soliutions have even been deployed on an experimental basis).

In addition, your proposal still seems to require the existence of a
unique top-level site (TINTLS) for the root of the system, but provides no
machinery to set it up.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.