ietf-nntp OVER extension

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 25 22:52:46 PDT 2002

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Charles Lindsey said:

>> >  For the five mandatory headers, the content of each field MUST be
>> >  based on the original header with the header name and following colon
>> >  and space removed. If the article does not contain that header, or if
>>        ^^^^^
>>        whitespace
>>
>> Is that right? There might be several spaces plus the odd TAB.

> I thought that existing practice was to remove just the first space. Can
> others comment here ?

I believe it should only remove the first space after the colon, but
existing practice in INN is to remove all leading whitespace.  I think
that only removing the first space makes considerably more sense, though,
since the first space is part of the article format but the remainder of
the line is part of the actual header.  I think we should correct this as
part of the standardization process, the same way we're correcting
handling of non-printing characters (without exactly following any
existing implementation).