ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Apr 4 13:11:15 PST 2002

   From: Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu>
   Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 13:09:50 -0800

   Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

   > The reason for allowing an initial parameter is to avoid blowing a
   > round-trip unnecessarily.

   I'm not arguing for an extra round-trip, but rather immediate client send
   of the data in multiline format, a la TAKETHIS.  In other words, I agree
   with the command syntax; I just think that it's cleaner to send the auth
   block as multiline data rather than as a command parameter.

And the exact syntax is obviously not all that important, so whatever
is fine with me.

Larry