ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 01:53:08 PST 2002

In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0204021151010.24120-100000 at marduk.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

>On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Charles Lindsey wrote:

>> Then one hopes it will be a smallish limit. If you can do an unforgeable
>> PGP signature in 1024 octets, then it should not be beyond the wit of man
>> to devise a satisfactory SASL negotiation in a similar amount.

>Yeah.  Any nontrivial length is guaranteed to be sufficient; if a response
>needs more than will fit, the mechanism can specify a way to fragment the
>response into appropriately sized pieces.  The only issue is picking a
>size large enough to avoid most extra roundtrips, and they seem to think
>64 K is necessary.  *shrug*

No, I don't *shrug*. There is something seriously wrong with a system
which requires you to pass 64K just to authenticate yourself, in order
that you may then post a couple of articles amounting to maybe 2K. Talk
about the tail wagging the dog :-) .

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.