ietf-nntp Wildmats (was: draft posted)

Stan O Barber sob at academ.com
Thu Nov 29 07:16:27 PST 2001

Clive D.W. Feather wrote:

>>If we stick with what
>>is currently written, then there is no need to explain the meaning of a repeat.
>>

> But the "SHALL appear only once" wording is wrong.
>
> If we need to say something, we should just say that the meaning is the
> same as if it had appeared only once.

The SHALL wording is wrong if we want to allow repeats, which is what
the current discussion is about. The SHALL wording does render the need
to explain duplicates moot.

My point, to repeat, is that we need to explain what a duplicate means.
Otherwise, an implementor may assume it means something based on how
certain servers implement the command. That would be a mistake and I'd
like to see it avoided.