ietf-nntp NNTP and 16-bit charsets

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon May 7 03:03:59 PDT 2001

Charles Lindsey said:
> So here is the whole thing, as I have now got it. Further comments
> welcomed.

Mostly okay, except where I comment:

>     7. Likewise, the terminating line ".CRLF" (in US-ASCII) MUST NOT be
>        considered part of the multi-line response;

s/;/ (but the preceding CRLF is part of the last line of the response);/

>        NOTE: Texts using charsets which represent characters as sequences
>        of 16 or 32 bits (e.g. UCS-2 and UCS-4) cannot be reliably conveyed
>        in the above format.

Texts using some charsets ... format because they require one of the three
forbidden octet values to be transmitted as part of other character codes.

[Is UCS-2 and UCS-4 the correct notation ? I *think* you need UTF-16 and
UTF-32.]

>        However, there is no problem with the charsets
>        regularly used with news articles (including in particular
>        US-ASCII, the series defined by [ISO 8859], and UTF-8) which all
>        have the property that the sequence 0x0a0d represents CRLF, and
>        therefore denotes the end of a line.

and none of which use zero other than as US-ASCII NUL.

> The text forming the header and body of the
> message to be posted MUST be sent by the client in the format already
> defined for multi-line responses

s/already defined/defined above (section 4)/

I just think that looks better; "already" implies a previous document to
me, rather than earlier in this document.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037