Message from Greg Andruk: ietf-nntp NNTP and 16-bit charsets

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Thu May 3 11:09:50 PDT 2001

chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) wrote:
> AIUI, if A relays to B, then A says "IHAVE these articles" and then B, in
> a following but separate transaction, says "then please send me these
> ARTICLEs".

No, that is a common point of confusion.  The ihave/sendme control
message protocol works as you describe, but that is primarily a UUCP
thing.

NNTP's IHAVE command (same name but no relation) most closely
resembles NNTP's own POST, with the added gimmick that the receiver is
given the opportunity to vet the message ID supplied on the command
line.

ARTICLE doesn't come into this (though the discussion early in RFC 977
can mislead one to think otherwise).