ietf-nntp NNTP and 16-bit charsets

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Thu May 3 04:02:19 PDT 2001

In <ylbspbunwi.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:

>> AIUI, if A relays to B, then A says "IHAVE these articles" and then B,
>> in a following but separate transaction, says "then please send me these
>> ARTICLEs". So although B is using the same command (ARTICLE) as an
>> ordinary newsreader would use, he is using it for relaying purposes
>> (whether the server at A realises that or not).

Mega OOPS there! I realised late last night I had got it wrong.

>No, ARTICLE isn't used for relaying.  See the description of IHAVE in this
>draft.  (You may have been confused by the way that the ihave and sendme
>control messages work, but they work completely differently than NNTP
>does.)

Yes, and with a bit of NEWNEWS confusing thrown in as well :-( .

>USEFOR will not be published before this document is.  What USEFOR says is
>mostly irrelevant to what should go into this document, except insofar as
>we can anticipate the requirements of the next generation of article
>standard without swerving from documenting existing practice.  If lines
>over 998 octets don't work with existing servers, I think that our charter
>is fairly clear when it comes to what we should document.

>If they do, that's great, and we can make everyone happy.  Which is why I
>want to find out whether there are any existing servers with this problem.

OK. Well you have reported that there is no serious problem in INN, and
nobody has reported anything different for any other server, so it looks
like it is OK. Anyone with evidence to the contrary please present it
ASAP.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.