ietf-nntp Time

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 02:18:53 PST 2001

In <20010322171227.B7388 at demon.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>If you mean to delete the sentence "This clock ...", I could live with
>that. I think it's good practice for news server operators, and I think it
>should be at least expressed in that manner, but I do understand your
>point.

>Can I confirm what I think you're saying: you're happy with my text apart
>from that one sentence ?

No, I think you should leave out the detailed instructions and the
examples. Once the initial point has been made, the implementation
details are pretty obvious. So you just need, in suitable places:

        The DATE command MUST return the same timestamp as is used for
        determining article arrival and group creation times.
and
       In order to allow for minor errors, clients MAY want to adjust the
       timestamp back by two or three minutes before using it in NEWNEWS.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.