ietf-nntp HDR

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Mar 12 02:31:08 PST 2001

In <R1ZqsxqMjPq6EwRo at romana.davros.org> "Clive D. W. Feather" <clive at on-the-train.demon.co.uk> writes:

>In message <G9vM6B.CMu at clw.cs.man.ac.uk>, Charles Lindsey
><chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes
>>
>>>    HDR X-Haddock 1-
>>
>>>am I guaranteed a 221 response, or can I be sent a 503 on the grounds that
>>>this server does not support the X-Haddock header for the HDR command.
>>

>Then what you mean is "yes, it can restrict the header". But why not use
>overview when you can and just grep the spool when you have to ?

That is up to the implementor.

Obviously, from a user's POV, it is better to allow no restriction. But I
gather some existing implementations use the overview, so I might agree to
allow such a restriction. But only if the implementors on this List come
and say they want it.

>The next question I had, then, is whether there should be a standard
>list of headers (e.g. Subject, From, Newsgroups) that must always be
>supported.

The minimal list should be the headers that are required in the overview.

>What's the correct wording for "the server must do either A or B; it has
>a free choice, but it must not do C" ? I thought that was MUST; surely,
>if you say MAY there, it allows the server to return any number. I want
>to force 0 or actual number. In other words, to parse it as:

>     ... MUST be (either 0 or actual number).

Yes, English is a funny language (designed that way to confuse the French,
I imagine :-) ). Yes, you are probably correct.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.