ietf-nntp [a-z] in Wildmats

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 03:11:02 PDT 2001

In <ylhexa83pd.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>I'm a bit confused here... are you talking about having character ranges
>apply to graphemes instead of characters?  That's heading in the direction
>of collation-aware character classes, which is a *huge* amount of work and
>is way more weight than the poor little rickety framework of wildmat is
>going to be able to bear.  For stuff like that, you really want to go all
>the way to POSIX regexes.

I would not seriously suggest going that route. The problem is that the
unaware user might have expected it to work that way.

BTW, is "grapheme" defined anywhere, or is it the same as "glyph"?

>> BTW, when are we going to see a draft incorporating these latest agreed
>> changes?

>We hadn't agreed on the wildmat stuff.  The last status so far as I know
>was that the four of us who were actively participating in the discussion
>all posted our opinions as to what should be included, Clive had text for
>all the alternatives, and there was a general appeal for more opinions
>that went mostly unresponded-to.

I think we had narrowed wildmats down to two cases, with and without
[...]. The few opinions expressed were fairly even (so the editor gets to
decide which represents the consensus, and then we all round on him
afterwards for getting it wrong :-( ).

But since I have just changed my opinion in favour of omitting [...], and
you have more or less agreed (and Clive too), then maybe that is the way
the consensus is now moving.

Which still leaves the question of when Stan is going to put it all in a
draft.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.