ietf-nntp Responses sections

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Jul 18 14:02:08 PDT 2001

Russ Allbery said:
> Thank you very much for this!

You're welcome.

> [under IHAVE]
>> The following text would, perhaps, better belong in the description than
>> in the responses.

Um, I don't know if I misedited in the rush to finish before going on
holiday, or whether it was already faulty, but this text needs some minor
editing:

>>   Because some host news posting software may not be able to
>>   immediately render status on the whether an article is
>>   inappropriate for posting or forwarding, an NNTP server MAY
>>   acknowledge the successful transfer of the article and later
>>   silently discard it. Thus, an NNTP server MAY return the 235
>>   acknowledgment code and later discard the received article.

I'd suggest the following:

    Because some news server software may not be able to immediately
    determine whether or not an article is suitable for posting or
    forwarding, an NNTP server MAY acknowledge the successful transfer
    of the article (with a 235 response) but later silently discard it.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037