ietf-nntp E-mail address field of LIST ACTIVE.TIMES

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Jul 9 03:43:44 PDT 2001

In <20010706161941.U73145 at demon.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>And what if that *is* the person's only and genuine email address ?

>Hmm, I see that we say that the number of parameters in the response MUST
>be fixed and string parameters MUST NOT contain spaces. So I would suggest
>that the email address field be any address acceptable to 2821/2 except:
>- those containing space/CR/LF/tab
>- those that only meet the "obsolete" syntax.

Where did you see that?

Anyway, surely the answer is to declare that the LIST ACTIVE.TIMES command
returns lines each with two parameters followed by arbitrary text (in the
form of an RFC2822 address) to the end of the line. It is only those two
parameters that newsreaders are usually interested in (so that they can offer
new groups to their readers as they appear).

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.