ietf-nntp Timeout in a POST (or IHAVE) command

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Jul 9 01:43:14 PDT 2001

Russ Allbery said:
>> There is the related problem of the server wanting to stop the transfer
>> of an article from a client (having seen the first 15MB, and there being
>> no indication that there is a further 15MB to follow ...). Currently,
>> the only solution is to drop the connection, which is a bit drastic.
>
> Why do you feel so?  It seems like an entirely reasonable approach to me.

Because it looks like a modem failure or suchlike, so the client will just
retry. We need a way for a server to say "I'm always going to reject
this.". I agree with Charles that this is not the time to address this in
detail.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037