ietf-nntp Requirement for timeout close unclear

greg andruk gja at meowing.net
Fri Jul 6 22:43:04 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 05:07:31PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> So the client may have to take that into account if it can't reuse the
> message ID.  I don't see that as much of a problem; basically, it just
> says "don't retry right away in the rare case where you didn't get an
> affirmative response from the server unless you can generate your own
> message IDs."

The only real hang-up is that some newsreader writers are reluctant to build
IDs on their own.  This can be helped by turning the MsgID-in-340 response
into a formal extension.  Posting time may be too late for some clients to
make good use of that information, so an alternative might be to use the
GETSET extension.