ietf-nntp E-mail address field of LIST ACTIVE.TIMES

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 6 17:04:45 PDT 2001

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery said:

>> Both of those suggestions have the same problem, namely that the e-mail
>> address field would no longer be a single field if you were splitting
>> on spaces.  ("this has a space"@stanford.edu is a valid RFC 2822 e-mail
>> address.)

> And what if that *is* the person's only and genuine email address ?

As far as I'm concerned, the same rule as with hostmaster addresses in DNS
applies:  Don't use that sort of address for newsgroup creation.  I'm
pretty sure other stuff would also break.

> Hmm, I see that we say that the number of parameters in the response MUST
> be fixed and string parameters MUST NOT contain spaces. So I would suggest
> that the email address field be any address acceptable to 2821/2 except:
> - those containing space/CR/LF/tab
> - those that only meet the "obsolete" syntax.

That's okay with me, although honestly I'd rather just say that the third
field should be an e-mail address not containing spaces and change the
example to not have the angle brackets.  I think adding too much language
about this is probably overkill, as the field is pretty much just
informational anyway.