ietf-nntp Implementation-specific language in IHAVE description

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Jul 6 08:03:50 PDT 2001

Russ Allbery said:
>> The traditional split between POST and IHAVE is what Usefor call
>> injecting and relay agents, and it might be worth saying that. However,
>> is there any actual requirement that a server treat them differently ?
>> Do we want to say that a server MAY treat IHAVE as POST if it wants ?
>
> There are issues outside the scope of the NNTP standard that indicate that
> would be a bad idea (for example, one should not provide a missing Date or
> Message-ID header on IHAVE, but one has to be prepared to do so on POST).

Um, surely you mean "one should not provide a missing Date or Message-ID
header on a relay connection, but one has to be prepared to do so on an
injecting connection" ? While it is traditional to use IHAVE for one and
POST for the other, servers already need to have other ways to tell the two
types of connection apart. So, I am asking, do we actually need to force
each command to be used for one or the other type of connection ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037