ietf-nntp Zero-argument ARTICLE and missing articles

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 17:14:52 PDT 2001

 >>> We must have wanted to forbid that behaviour, given the wording used.

 Russ> Okay, I'll change INN.

 AG> Hrm. I just checked my code, and I'm doing the same as what INN
 AG> did.  Are there any other servers that behave differently? (And
 AG> are there any clients that use NEXT/LAST much?)

OK, so I checked again, and I think I misunderstood what the original
point was.

As far as my server is concerned: once a current article is
established (by whatever means), ARTICLE/HEAD/BODY without argument
will return _only_ the article with that number, or 423 if it doesn't
exist.  An article that was already known not to exist can't be made
the current article, but expiry or cancel can invalidate the current
article after it is selected.

The only time I try and skip over missing articles is in the NEXT/LAST
commands.

--
Andrew.