ietf-nntp Single-group LIST NEWSGROUPS isn't efficient

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 16:36:40 PDT 2001

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

 Russ> My worry is that it might encourage a client to send multiple
 Russ> individual LIST NEWSGROUPS commands rather than one wildmat
 Russ> expression presuming that this would be faster for the server.
 Russ> For LIST ACTIVE, it probably is, but for LIST NEWSGROUPS with
 Russ> INN (and I believe reference NNTP) at least, it's considerably
 Russ> slower.

I think for a client it's a catch-22. What use do common clients make
of the descriptions anyway?

--
Andrew.