ietf-nntp E-mail address field of LIST ACTIVE.TIMES

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 5 03:11:17 PDT 2001

Russ Allbery said:
> This doesn't say anything about the format of the e-mail addresses.  The
> examples show them in angle brackets:
>
>     Example of LIST ACTIVE.TIMES returning a list of newsgroups
>               [S] 200 NNTP Service Ready
>               [C] LIST ACTIVE.TIMES
>               [S] 215 information follows
>               [S] misc.test 930445408 <creatme at isc.org>
>               [S] alt.rfc-writers.recovery 930562309 <m at nowhere.to>
>               [S] tx.natives.recovery 930678923 <sob at academ.com>
>               [S]  .
>
> A current INN server returns the e-mail address without the angle
> brackets, and checking the INN 1.0 source code (which require some tracing
> through the logic), it appears that this has always been the way that file
> was stored by INN.

I think the address should be any valid form that is acceptable to email
software; um, probably RFC 2821 or 2822 answers this and we should just
include a reference. So the brackets are optional, and we should have some
examples with and some without.

However, can the addresses include spaces and comments ? Things like:
    [S] misc.test 987654321 Clive Feather <clive at demon.net>
    [S] misc.test 987654321 clive at demon.net (This is a comment)

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138