ietf-nntp Implementation-specific language in IHAVE description

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 5 02:57:12 PDT 2001

Russ Allbery said:
> The discussion of "the server's news posting program" is specific to a
> particular implementation technique and therefore may be confusing.
> Suggested replacement wording:
>
>     It SHOULD NOT be used when the client is a personal news reading
>     program, since this command indicates that the forthcoming article
>     has already been posted at another site and is being forwarded from
>     another host.

Agreed.

The traditional split between POST and IHAVE is what Usefor call injecting
and relay agents, and it might be worth saying that. However, is there any
actual requirement that a server treat them differently ? Do we want to
say that a server MAY treat IHAVE as POST if it wants ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037