ietf-nntp Revised Notes from IETF 49

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Thu Jan 25 09:58:05 PST 2001

"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:

> Lee Kindness said:
> > You fail to understand that the addition of the 'UTC' token is totally
> > pointless!

No, I agree it is totally pointless. I have always thought that. Unfortunatley,
there were others who were very vocal in arguing about this and there seemed to
be no way for those folks to understand how pointless this addition would be.
This was done as a compromise. Compromises often result in poor design. That's a
fact of life.

Now, if those who were so vocal will vocally admit that their original position
was wrong and support no change from RFC977 with respect to this, I will remove
it. Otherwise, it stays.