ietf-nntp Re: reorganising the document

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 01:42:29 PST 2001

In <14941.37895.442363.68443 at mail.csl.co.uk> Lee Kindness <lkindness at csl.co.uk> writes:

>I'm inclined to agree with Clive on this point. The reorganisation
>makes the document a lot easier to read and is more 'natural' in its
>ordering.

Well if it really is only a 10 minute job, and if Clive has already done
the work and made his text available, then I would support it too.

>I think the majority of those who contribute to the list would agree
>with me. Why should a meeting of a small number of people in San Diego
>take precedence?

Indeed. If we are the Working Group established by IETF to do this job,
and if we are spread around the world, and if we are in continuous
session, then it seems rather silly to be overruled by the few people who
have funding to get to some meeting, and who try to decide the issues in
an allocated time slot of maybe 90 minutes. The USEFOR group has never
tried to do its work on that basis.

These short sessions at IETF meetings are a good opportunity to tell other
IETF folk what we are up to, and to receive feedback if they think we are
way out of line.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 436 6131      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5