ietf-nntp DRAFT summary of IETF 49

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Jan 11 05:38:27 PST 2001

In <20010111004209.A61397 at riffraff.plig.net> Russell Vincent <rv at openusenet.org> writes:

>Just to put another slant on this. Diablo reader mode cannot switch back
>to a feeder mode because the feeder code doesn't even have to exist on
>a machine that handles client connections only. I have never come across
>a need for it to be done.

Sure, but any server is entitled to implement reader-only or feeder-only
facilities, and to return an appropriate 5xx response to anything it is
not prepared to accept. So one-mode-only servers would refuse any MODE
command into the mode that they did not support.

But I still think both forms should exist for symmetry.

I think the fundamental mistake that INN made was to choose the wrong mode
(feeder) as the default.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 436 6131      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5