ietf-nntp DRAFT summary of IETF 49

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Jan 10 02:32:55 PST 2001

In <3A5B3A22.56F7A70E at verio.net> "Stan O. Barber" <sob at verio.net> writes:

>If we specify HDR based on XHDR, then you are probably right. Today, there is no
>HDR documented and I am concered that wildmats might creep in there.

Yes, that was the intention. Wildmats are fine for specifying newsgroups
names, but are poor for more general applications. So we invent HDR just
like XHDR and leave anything else for future extensions. I believe Andrew
told us that XHDR is currently used far more than XPAT.

>I think this notion is a good one, frankly. However, I don't think current
>implementations that involve multiple programs have the ability to "switch back"
>once they have gone to
>"reader" mode.

MODE READER would make far more sense if accompanied by MODE RELAYER to go
the other way.

AIUI, it was INN that invented MODE READER in the first place and got us
into this mess.

It might be sensible to say that you MUST use the MODE commands if you are
doing streaming, but that they can be omitted otherwise. Would that work?

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 436 6131      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5