ietf-nntp Re: Section 7 minor points

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Jan 10 08:22:17 PST 2001

I wrote:
> Firstly, the notation used in the examples for starting and ending a
> connection are inconsistent with each other; the former also looks like
> it's a message sent over the connection. Can I suggest that instead we use
> indented bracket text, thus:
>
>   7.1.1 Initial Connection Example
>
>   Example of a normal connection from an authorized client
>
> !         [Initial TCP connection completed]
>           [S] 200 NNTP Service Ready, posting permitted
>
>   Client can send commands at this point. In this example, the
>   client jumps directly to the conclusion step (See section 10).
>
>           [C] QUIT
>           [S] 205 NNTP Service exits normally
> !         [Server closes connection]

[...]

I have put an edited version of draft 12 section 7 at:

<http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/section-7-tidy.txt>

By the way, I felt that the examples and response lists were better
single-spaced rather than double-spaced. Am I alone in this ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037