ietf-nntp DNS

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Dec 31 06:43:00 PST 2001

In <87wuz6k2io.fsf at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Charles> P62. S14.4 (DNS)
> Charles> Do we want to add somewhere something like:
> Charles> "The NNTP implementation SHOULD make the IP address of the domain
> Charles> name of the client available to the server, so as to establish the
> Charles> source of articles arriving via the POST and IHAVE commands".

>?

>do you mean "domain name of the client's IP address"? (in which case
>the usual warning about matching forward and reverse lookups needs to
>be in there somewhere)

No, I think I meant the actual IP, but really it is an issue to be decided
between the server and the NNTP implementation (if these are indeed
different pieces of software). Agreed that if the domain name is provided,
you need to do the reverse lookups as well.

The wording currently in USEFOR assumes that the actual IP will be
available, but there is wording about double lookups.

The main point is that the server side of the NNTP implementation SHOULD
know, and report on in some way (for use in NNTP-Posting-Host or
Injector-Info headers) the identity of its client.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.