ietf-nntp LIST DISTR*

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 31 12:45:22 PST 2001

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Charles Lindsey said:

>> P41. S9.4.3 (LIST DISTRIBUTIONS)

>> P42. S9.4.4 (LIST DISTRIB.PATS)

> From memory, in previous discussions we decided that these just dumped
> files that had standard formats. They were too simple to be worth the
> effort of declaring obsolescent or obsolete.

Both of them are potentially useful; LIST DISTRIBUTIONS could be used by a
client to provide the user a choice of possible distributions for a site
that's actually using distributions actively, and LIST DISTRIB.PATS is the
only way of finding out about modifications to one's article distribution
that may be made after it is posted.  I don't see any reason to remove
either of them.  Some of us still do actively use distributions (and I
probably should write up a distributions file for Stanford).

They're both optional commands, which I think is sufficient.