ietf-nntp Commetns on draft-15.pdf

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sat Dec 29 08:01:57 PST 2001

Andrew Gierth said:
> Please note: 4xx response codes in NNTP are _NOT_ temporary errors
> except where documented as such; most of them are in fact permanent.

Indeed, the current draft says:

  4xx - Command was correct, but couldn't be performed for some reason.
  5xx - Command unimplemented, or incorrect, or a serious program error
    occurred.

> have we fixed the description of x8x response codes yet?

  x8x - Reserved for authentication and authorization extensions

> If so, then
> an authinfo draft can be produced, provided it doesn't attempt to
> mandate features which are impossible for some sites to implement like
> the last one did.

So long as it's a separate document.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138