ietf-nntp Maximum command length

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sat Dec 29 07:37:58 PST 2001

Charles Lindsey said:
> Currently, a command line is restricted to 512 octets (with a maximum of
> 497 octets for any parameters). The only command likely to run into this
> limit is NEWNEWS, but it can be a confounded nuisance in that case.
>
> Would this WG be agreeable to a service extension
> 	CMDLENGTH <parameter>
> where <parameter> is either a number (the maximum length allowed) or the
> token "unlimited"? The default is, of course, 512 octets, and the limit on
> the length of the parameters is <parameter>-15.

I don't see the need, since it isn't hard to split up the NEWNEWS into
several.

However, if there is agreement on having such an extension, it ought to be
more powerful (e.g. allowing either side to offer a new maximum).

On the gripping hand, it should be a separate document and not part of this
one.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037