ietf-nntp POST responses

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sat Dec 29 07:07:27 PST 2001

Charles Lindsey said:
> P33. S9.3.1.1 (POST responses)
> If an article is POSTed, and the server can discover, in real time, that
> it is syntactically invalid, or breached site policy, or whatever, does it
> return 441, or do we need to invent a 541 response (there would surely be
> no point in trying to send it again)?

I think that we should have separate responses for "known permanent
failure", "known temporary failure", and "unable to determine how serious
the failure is". These all need to be 44x errors.

However, I don't know the best way to get there from here.

> There is also a remark in S9.3.2 (IHAVE) that some servers may not be able
> to provide such responses in real-time. Should that remark not appear here
> also, since it seems to apply equally to POST?

It would seem sensible.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037