ietf-nntp Response code warts

greg andruk gja at meowing.net
Fri Dec 28 21:29:55 PST 2001

I'm tasked with cleaning up an NNTP client library and noticed two cases
that require me to shuffle around a bit more state than I'd like.  It's
probably too late to do much about these, but mentioning them can't hurt too
much, can it?

The more annoying one is the 211 response.  This one seems to stand alone in
that it can return either a simple or multiline response depending on what
command (GROUP or LISTGROUP) prompted it.

Slightly less irksome is LIST EXTENSIONS, returning 202 when all its friends
are using 215.  It also has two different responses with identical meanings
(202 followed by an empty list, or 402).