ietf-nntp poll

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 09:02:39 PST 2001

>>>>> "Maurizio" == Maurizio Codogno <puntomaupunto at tin.it> writes:

 Maurizio> Let's start again from scratch, then.

 Maurizio> Do ALL existing servers support pipelining?

To my knowledge, the reference NNTP implementation, INN, DNews,
Typhoon/Breeze/Twister, Diablo, the servers I've written, Demon's
server, Tortoise, and everything else I've encountered support
pipelining (and the ones I listed cover the vast majority of all
users).

I don't know offhand if there are any servers which are known _not_ to
support it, but they are certainly isolated exceptions rather than the
rule.

 Maurizio> Do ALL of them agree that pipelining cannot be done after
 Maurizio> certain commands?

No. MODE READER is something of an INN peculiarity. I believe the
reference implementation has problems pipelining on POST.

 Maurizio> If yes, there is no problem in stating this in the doc, but
 Maurizio> there is no need to discuss about which commands allow it
 Maurizio> either.  If no, you want to state explicitly that some
 Maurizio> legacy server will be no more considered compliant.

There is no particular need to support pipelining on either MODE READER
or POST. There is a very definite need to support it on sequences of
article or overview fetches or LIST ACTIVE commands. The obvious thing
to do is to require it to work in all cases except the existing known
exceptions.

--
Andrew.