ietf-nntp poll

Maurizio Codogno puntomaupunto at tin.it
Wed Dec 12 16:48:02 PST 2001

Clive:

> > > IMO, either the server states as the answer to the greeting
> > > (or as an extension) that it accept streaming, or we cannot
> > > be sure if streaming is accepted. I propose that the client
> > > MAY do streaming, but the server MAY refuse it, maybe with
> > > a different return code.
> > > It is my understanding that most
> > > server accept streaming anyway, so it may as well be the
> > > default.
>
> My understanding is that most servers accept streaming in most situations,
> and many clients assume that streaming works. As such, forbidding it by
> default (or even by a new status code) will be an incompatible change.

I have no problem in leaving streaming as default behaviour:
if it was not clear in my message, this is my fault.

But I still do not see the reason to dictate support of
streaming. And I don't like the idea that a client sends
a stream of data, and an old server silently discards it.
It is easier to add a return code to old servers to make
them conforming, rather than discarding them or retrofitting
streaming.

And the only logical place where to add the distinctive
return code is a place where streaming cannot be activated
yet, therefore the answer to the greeting :-)

ciao, .mau.