ietf-nntp poll

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Dec 12 07:20:36 PST 2001

Maurizio Codogno said:
> > 2. Streaming in the base NNTP specification. Clive Feather has suggested that the following text be added as part of the base spec.
> > [...]
> > DISAGREE
> >
> > IMO, either the server states as the answer to the greeting
> > (or as an extension) that it accept streaming, or we cannot
> > be sure if streaming is accepted. I propose that the client
> > MAY do streaming, but the server MAY refuse it, maybe with
> > a different return code.
> > It is my understanding that most
> > server accept streaming anyway, so it may as well be the
> > default.

My understanding is that most servers accept streaming in most situations,
and many clients assume that streaming works. As such, forbidding it by
default (or even by a new status code) will be an incompatible change.

In other words, I was trying to document existing practice.

If streaming is an option, do you think that it should have to be
explicitly requested ? If not, just when would you indicate that it's not
available, and how ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037