ietf-nntp Generic responses

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Dec 12 06:54:21 PST 2001

Stan O. Barber said:
> No, it did not. That's why it was not in there. I, for one, find it
> confusing.

Let me start again.

We have 7 generic response codes:
    400   terminating immediately
    401   terminating soon
    403   feature not available (temporary)
    500   unknown command
    501   syntax error
    502   not authorized
    503   feature not available (permanent)

For each command in the specification, some of these are legitimate

   GROUP              400, 401, and 501 are valid
   HDR                any are valid (I think)
   LIST               400, 401, and 501 are valid
   LIST EXTENSIONS    400, 401, 501, and 503 are valid

I think it would be useful for the description of each command to include
an indication of which generic responses could appear.

{Question 1} Does anyone disagree ?

If we agree, then the following possibilities come to mind:

(1) Include them mixed in with the other responses.

          211 n l h ggg  Group successfully selected (...)
          400            Terminating immediately
          401            Terminating soon
          411            No such newsgroup
          501            Syntax error in parameters

(2) Include them, but separated out:

          211 n l h ggg  Group successfully selected (...)
          411            No such newsgroup

      plus the following generic responses:

          400            Terminating immediately
          401            Terminating soon
          501            Syntax error in parameters

(3) List the valid generic responses as a summary:

          211 n l h ggg  Group successfully selected (...)
          411            No such newsgroup

      plus generic responses 400, 401, 501

or, to use the format of my earlier proposal:

          211 n l h ggg  Group successfully selected (...)
          411            No such newsgroup
          Generic: 400 401 501

{Question 2} Which of these three arrangements is best ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037