ietf-nntp New proposals added to web site

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Dec 12 06:26:12 PST 2001

Russ Allbery said:
> Note that alternative 2 involves adding the appropriate magic phrase to
> each of the command descriptions that can't be streamed.  (The list in
> Clive's proposed wording is missing a few other ones that are "obvious,"
> namely POST and IHAVE.)

POST and IHAVE aren't "obvious". Obviously you have to wait for the
intermediate response code to know whether or not to send the article, but
there's no obvious reason to avoid streaming another command after the end
of the article.

>> However I do have a quibble with the word "streaming".
>> For consistency shouldn't we use the established term "pipelining" as
>> per the equivalent ESMTP feature: "RFC2920 SMTP Service Extension for
>> Command Pipelining"?
>
> I can see an argument either way; the NNTP extension for faster feeding is
> already called streaming, but pipelining seems to be the more common term
> outside of NNTP.

I don't care either way.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138