ietf-nntp Generic responses

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Dec 4 01:18:55 PST 2001

A while ago I wrote the following proposal. I thought this had consensus.

====

An alternative approach to generic responses would be to add a "generic"
line to each section, saying which generic codes are allowed. This would
also make it clear which commands are optional and which are mandatory.
On the other hand, the generic responses only fall into two groups:
  * 400, 401, 501, and 502 can always occur (can QUIT get any of these
    other than 501 ?)
  * 403, 500, and 503 can occur with optional commands but not mandatory
    ones (and 500 isn't available if the command uses two words).
Here are examples of some sections with generic responses added:

  7.2 MODE READER
       200         service available, POST allowed
       201         service available, POST not allowed
       Generic: 400 401 501 502

  Following a 400 or 502 response the server MUST immediately
  close the connection.

  9.4.1 LIST

       215         list follows (multiline)
       Generic: 400 401 501 502

  9.4.2 LIST ACTIVE.TIMES

       215         list follows (multiline)
       Generic: 400 401 403 501 503 503

  9.5.2.2 OVER

       224         information follows (multiline)
       412         no newsgroup currently selected
       420         no current article selected
       Generic: 400 401 403 500 501 502 503

  10.1 QUIT

       205         closing connection