ietf-nntp Simplification of wildmat

Stan O. Barber sob at verio.net
Mon Apr 30 08:44:43 PDT 2001

"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:

> Charles Lindsey said:
> > So I prefer to go with Clive's formulation, but cutting it down to the
> > minimum necessary to match newsgroup-names (leaving implementors to do the
> > best they can if they continue to support XPAT). This means at least
> > including '!' and ',', though I could be persuaded to leave out '[...]',
> > and I think there is no remaining need for '\' at all. If '[...]' remains,
> > then it seems we may have to forbid ',' within it.
> >
> > I think it would be useful for Clive to publish his latest minimal
> > formulation along those lines. I suspect it will be considerably shorter
> > than some of his earlier versions.
>
> I have put two versions on my web site.
>
> <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/section-5a.txt>
>   Full proposal with sets, updated to the end of this thread. Note that
>   \ is forbidden, comma can't occur in sets, and [d-a] matches nothing.
> <http://www.davros.org/nntp-texts/section-5b.txt>
>   Same proposal with sets removed and [ and ] also forbidden.

Folks, since a version of this is supposed to be in the next draft, we need to
settle this
wildmat issue right away.

Please review these two items and discuss. I will call for some consensus next
week.
--
Stan   | PGP Key ID: 55CB6421     | Opinions expressed are only mine.
Olan   | Phone: +1-713-793-0222   | Email: sob at academ.com
Barber | Fax:   +1-208-445-2972   | http://www.academ.com/~sob