ietf-nntp Streaming

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 24 10:11:00 PDT 2001

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
> Russ Allbery said:

>> IHAVE, POST, MODE READER, LIST EXTENSIONS, and QUIT are not streamable
>> and if this text is adopted, this should be noted in their
>> descriptions.

> I understand the last three, but I don't follow your reasoning for the
> first two.

What the server expects after IHAVE or POST varies based on the server
return code; it may be expecting more commands, or it may be expecting a
copy of an article.  You can't tell until after you read the response, and
therefore you can't reasonably send anything after an IHAVE or POST
command until you've parsed the server response.