ietf-nntp Streaming

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 24 05:16:24 PDT 2001

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> Proposed new words for streaming (aka pipelining).

I'm comfortable with this language by and large.  I prefer the alternative
below:

> [Start of alternative 2]

>   If the specific description of a command describes it as "not
>   streamable", that command MUST end any stream of commands. That is,
>   the client MUST NOT send any following command until receiving the
>   CRLF at the end of the response from the command. The server MAY
>   ignore any data received after the command and before the CRLF at the
>   end of the response is sent to the client.

IHAVE, POST, MODE READER, LIST EXTENSIONS, and QUIT are not streamable and
if this text is adopted, this should be noted in their descriptions.

I'm not sure about GROUP.  If GROUP fails, it could cause cascade failure
of a lot of the remaining commands in the stream, although this isn't as
bad as if IHAVE or POST fail.