ietf-nntp Section 9.4.1

Tim Roberts troberts at bigfoot.com
Tue Sep 5 09:33:25 PDT 2000

Hi - I'm new to the list so please excuse me if this has already been
discussed (atleast I didn't see any reference to it in the archives)...

I just read the draft and think it is much 'cleaner' than the original RFC
977 - nice work.

However, one point I think needs clarification is in section 9.4.1:  'If the
optional wildmat parameter is specified, the list is limited to only the
groups that match the pattern'.

Shouldn't this read: 'If the optional keyword ACTIVE is present and a
wildmat parameter is specified, the list is limited to only the groups that
match the pattern'.

When I first read the line - it reads like the syntax was 'LIST [ACTIVE]
[wildmat]' - which is different from the specification of 'LIST [ACTIVE
[wildmat]]'.

In fact, to make things even clearer - add a line similar to 'If the
optional keyword ACTIVE is present and no wildmat parameter is specified, a
wildmat of "*" is the default'.

Did I misinterpret this or not?