ietf-nntp <distributions> parameter to NEWGROUPS and NEWNEWS

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Sep 5 02:28:12 PDT 2000

In <yl66ob4u0q.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>It makes no sense at all for NEWGROUPS so far as I can tell, so I assume
>you're just talking about NEWNEWS.  Have you ever actually wanted to do
>this (specify distributions as part of NEWNEWS)?  I can't imagine a
>situation where it would be particularly useful, given the very few places
>that distributions are still used effectively on Usenet these days, but
>that could just be my lack of imagination.

On USEFOR, we have tried to clean up DISTRIBUTIONS. Specifically, USEFOR
requires them to be checked on arrival, as well as on dispatch, so a
working feature in NEWNEWS would be in line with that aim (whether the
world will move in that direction is another matter, of course). No, I
have never needed to use the feature.

>Regardless, the bizarre angle bracket syntax should go.

There I disagree. It's ugly, but its there. No benefit in changing it.
Either it goes entirely, or leave it as it is.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5