ietf-nntp Minor corrections to 11.4

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Sep 5 02:24:02 PDT 2000

In <ylbsy34u3s.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>*grumble*  Since writing this, I checked INN 1.7.2, and it doesn't support
>four-digit dates.  So definitely not a MUST.  I still think a SHOULD is in
>order, but the client's going to have to be prepared to fall back on a two
>digit date, at least for a while longer.  :/

INN 1.5.1 has a y2k bug, so is useless for NEWNEWS. INN 1.7 is OK (though
I doubt it implements the "nearest the current year" hack).

>Does the reference implementation support four-digit years?

No. But neither does it understand "00" as being "0000", so it is useless
for NEWNEWS anyway. I reported this to this list on Jan 3rd, together with
a patch, but Stan does not seem to be interested. My patch is still
available if wanted.

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5