ietf-nntp UTC (was: Minor corrections to 11.4)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Fri Sep 1 01:54:57 PDT 2000

Lee Kindness said:
>>        NEWGROUPS date time [GMT|UTC]
>
> In addition to your comments, I think it is important that "UTC" is
> dropped from the draft. It does not add anything - it is only a
> cosmetic update. It also introduces incompatibilities.

I don't object to this. However, I think we need some wording about GMT,
UTC, and so on. Um, something like:

    The use of the term GMT in this document means a time which is
    intended to be within 5 seconds of UT1 or UTC.

in the introductory text, then in 11.1 change "UTC (or GMT)" to "GMT". In
11.4 and 11.5 make all the obvious changes to eliminate the term UTC, and
then add:

    Clients MUST be prepared for discrepencies between the server's
    clock and true UTC, and SHOULD allow for these discrepencies when
    making requests.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 1037