ietf-nntp Minor corrections to 11.4

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 1 01:35:46 PDT 2000

Found one more problem with this section; the example:

          [C] NEWGROUPS 19990624 000000 UTC

          [S] 230 list of new newsgroups follows

          [S] alt.rfc-writers.recovery

          [S] tx.natives.recovery

          [S] .

is incorrect.  The text correctly documents existing practice, saying:

    A list of newsgroups created since <date and time> MUST be
    listed in the same format as the LIST command.

The example should look like:

          [C] NEWGROUPS 19990624 000000 UTC

          [S] 230 list of new newsgroups follows

          [S] alt.rfc-writers.recovery 4 1 y

          [S] tx.natives.recovery 89 59 y

          [S] .

Looks like both the LIST description and its examples are also wrong; it
says in section 9.4.1:

    The response to the LIST keyword with no parameters returns a
    list of valid news groups and associated information.  Each
    news group is sent as a line of text in the following format:

       group first last status

    where <group> is the name of the news group, <last> is the
    number of the last known article currently in that news group,
    <first> is the number of the first article currently in the
    news group, and <status> indicates the current status of the
    group on this server.

This should be:

       group last first status

and the examples changed appropriately.  I have no clue why it was decided
to have last before first in the active file format, but so far as I know
it's always been that way; see RFC 977.