ietf-nntp Virtual NewsGroup hosting

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 11 16:19:24 PDT 2000

Russell Vincent <rv at openusenet.org> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 04:25:22PM -0500, Tim Roberts wrote:

>> If I understand you correctly - INN supports virtual hosting based on
>> the USER and not the intended server?!?

> Don't forget that INN is not the only news server. Diablo (for example)
> allows you to configure virtual servers based on a local virtual
> interface, source IP, authenticated user, etc. You can configure
> different authentication types per virtual server and have local
> hierarchies/groups per virtual server. Each virtual server can be
> configured to completely hide the fact that it is shared with other
> servers on one machine, right down to the machine generated
> Message-ID's, Path: and Xref: headers.  Probably almost anything you
> might need.  :-)

> All transparently to the client, so no extra NNTP commands are needed.

Yup.  That's basically identical to the capabilities in the current
version of INN.  The Message-ID, Path, and Xref stuff was missing until
recently, but it's in 2.3.0.  Diablo's support is probably a bit more
polished around the corners, as parts were in Diablo before it was added
to INN.

Note that both of them require either authentication or IP-based virtual
hosting, as I understand it, and neither can offer unauthenticated alias-
based virtual hosting with full hiding of the fact that the server is a
virtual host.  (IP-based authentication is sufficient to allow this for
INN and I presume Diablo, but you have to have *some* authentication OR
use separate IP addresses for each virtual host.)