ietf-nntp Virtual NewsGroup hosting

Lee Kindness lkindness at csl.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 07:45:46 PDT 2000

Tim Roberts writes:
 > It could be accomplished either by a new command (X-Server or
 > Server) or extending the Mode Reader command to "MODE READER [news
 > servername]".  The hosting software would then acknolwedge the command
 > and restrict the visibility (in List/Group/Post/etc commands) to only
 > those newsgroups setup for that server name in some configuration
 > file.
 > Any opinions?

This is functionality that could be easily defined in an NNTP
extension. The LIST EXTENSIONS mechanism would be used to check for
this functionality and use the new command.

However I cannot see it ever being defined or used - there is simply
not the requirement. Customers would much rather used a web-based
'forum' system.

Oh, and you have HTML posting enabled - which is a real pain...