ietf-nntp Wildmats

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 22 17:49:40 PST 2000

Charles Lindsey <chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk> writes:
> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>> Yes, and also \u. There is existing practice saying that "[\s]" matches
>> backslash or s. There is no existing practice for \u outside sets.

> I was just about to agree violently, but then I spotted that Perl REs
> allow [\s\t] meaning SP or TAB :-( .

Just for the record, \s in Perl doesn't mean SP; it means any whitespace
(including form feed and vertical tab, as well as CR, LF, TAB, and SP).
That's another one of the reasons why adding \s to our wildmat syntax
doesn't strike me as the best idea.  Does it match FF and VT too, if we
leave those in headers without converting them to spaces (and I don't see
why we couldn't do that)?