ietf-nntp Section 11.5 - NEWNEWS

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Nov 22 03:48:44 PST 2000

In <9ckOBMCcCnG6QAPL at turnpike.com> Paul Overell <paulo at turnpike.com> writes:
>Requiring NEWNEWS and NEWGROUPS to use the "arbitrary string/token" from
>the DATE command is an incompatible change from RFC977.

Nonsense!

Technically yes, but existing best practice has always been to implement
DATE. Are there any current implementations that do not?

>For compatibility with RFC977 we are stuck with the token "GMT" to mean
>UTC for the syntax of the NEWNEWS and NEWGROUPS commands.  One token
>does suffice.

True. If we added "UTC" as an alternative, it would only be for political
correctness. And it would have to be in the form "servers MUST accept,
clients SHOULD NOT generate".

Email:     chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 436 6131      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5